OK, so here is the rundown of our past few days. They have been exciting, for us anyhow. Hang on and enjoy the ride.
Mike and I decided we would only exchange cards this year for Valentines Day and that was completely OK with both of us. Well, I cheated. :) On Thursday night when he got home, about 12:30'ish, I had a little fondue set up for him. We had strawberries, pineapple, chocolate cake and lemon pound cake. It was super yummy and extremely nice to be hanging out with my husband. We were enjoying our midnight treat and he said "you know a bottle of wine would be great with this......OR....we could pack, load the kids in the truck and head to your mom's house." Well, what on earth do you think I chose??? My mom's house DUH! So here it is 2:30 in the morning and we are pulling out of the driveway with two kids, a dog and a truck bed full of fun stuff for my sweet little nephew...and we have AT LEAST a 10 hour drive in front of us!!!
For the most part, the first part of the drive was so nice. The kids slept and I got in a little nap too. Once the kids woke and advised us it was time to eat, we pulled over. We had a great start making it about 5 hours before stopping. We dined at the Golden Arches Cafe', lovingly known as McDonald's. Will shoved down some pancakes in Wonder Boy fashion. Morgan enjoyed her huge cinnamon roll thing along with some chocolate milk. That is where I went against my better judgment of letting her have milk on a road trip.
Several hours later after MUCH flipping and flopping in the back seat of the truck. Mike and I told her to sit up, be still and count the cars or SOMETHING. About this time she "thinks" she is going to be sick and guess where we are? On the BYPASS in Knoxville. There is NOWHERE to stop!!! And she does get sick....all over the DOG! now our poor little Morgan is more upset about barfing on daddy's new truck and covering our black, long haired Yorkie-poo in puke than she is about herself. That part is too sweet. Mike is about to DIE because well, there is barf on his seat and the dog is in the floor board just stinkin the place up. I on the other hand am laughing SO hard I think I am going to pee on myself. It by all means wasnt THAT funny, but I was either going to laugh or cry and I chose to laugh.
We finally had a place to pull over. We let Morgan change clothes in the front seat of the truck while I changed Will's in the back. Mike went in to get some paper towels, water and plastic bags. The kids settled back into the truck nicely while Mike and I worked on the poor puppy. Instead of taking paper towels and trying to get some of the nasty out of his hair, Mike just poured water all over the dog. I dont think he realized it made it about a million times worse! I ended up having to get as much out as I could and then attempt to vacuum out the rest. yes, I used one of those wonderful industrial strength car vacuums on my sweet little 9 pound dog. It got the job done! Minus the smell!! He had to ride in his kennel in the bed of the truck the rest of the way. Dont worry, he was surrounded on all sides by down coats that wouldnt let the wind get too him and we have a bed cover. So he had fresh air but wasnt too cold.
All of this fun and wonderful stuff happened around Knoxville which is about 3-4 hours from my mom and dad's house. So we still had some fun times to go. The rest of the trip there went OK. We were lucky that the dog groomer took in our sweet puppy and cleaned him up, gave him a bath and a sweet little shave. Mike and I think he lost a few pounds after this, but he looks cute.
We surprised my mom and dad. They, along with every other member of my family, had NO CLUE that we were coming into town. We pulled up the house and mom was feeding my nephew, Wyatt. We sent Morgan to knock thinking she would just open the door and see Miss Morgan. Well, she looked out the window and saw Mike, Will and I all holding hands in the yard. I think she about fainted! She could hardly walk out the door and down the steps without crying. It was So good to see my mom so happy. Im glad I could do that for her.
We kept surprising the family members through out the day as they came in from work and school. It was a great day. I got to feed and hold my sweet baby nephew Wyatt that I have never gotten the chance to meet until now. He is SO little! I know, coming from the mom of a 2 pounder I should be thinking he is HUGE! But he is just a sweet little bundle of baby rolls.
That night I went to dinner with a friend and surprised Wyatt's mom. She just about fell out in the floor of Cinco De Mayo. She was in tears and just couldnt believe it. We had a great night and an overall great weekend filled with family and friends. We even stopped by the NICU and saw some of our nurses and rt's. I miss them SO much. They were all just amazed at will's progress. His speech therapist and occupational therapist were beyond thrilled. Will even showed off and walked a few steps for them all.
Monday afternoon we headed home. It was a rather uneventful drive compared to the first half of our journey. Morgan played her DS that her cousin let her have. Will played with Mike's phone and looked out the window. They both eventually fell asleep and it was nice...for a while. Will started screaming bloody murder and all we could think was that he had ANOTHER ear infection OR his teeth were bothering him. Well, turns out it is neither of these things but just a very constipated little boy. An hour sitting at Pizza hut took care of that though and we made it home by 2:30 in the morning. Morgan got up with out too much of a hassle and was happy to be heading off to school.
That was our weekend in a nutshell and now we are home and I have TONS of laundry to do. I still have to make a menu and grocery list for the week and on top of that shopping, ugh. I am tired. The kids are tired. Mike is tired. But it was SO worth being able to see my mom, dad and two sisters along with their kids. Will snuggled right up to his Nana and Pawpaw and I am sure he is going to miss them greatly. I know I am!
Till then y'all
Wow a 10 hour drive, now i know i could make the trip home since it's just under 10 hours from here. Mind you though i would have to get on a boat at France lol.
ReplyDeleteIs'nt it amazing how we compleletly forget about the size of our little ones when holding another baby. I found myself doing the same thing last week saying an 8lb aby was so tiny and forgetting that caden was 6lb smaller.
Glad you had a great trip with your family